Freedom House first opened as a walk-in shelter and was located in Wyanet. Two years later, a Henry County Outreach Office opened in Kewanee. Current and new clients are encouraged to call (309) 852-4008 to schedule an appointment or ask directions to the Kewanee office.
Freedom House was moved from Wyanet to 314 N. Euclid Avenue, Princeton, between December 1988 and January 1989. The handicapped-accessible Children's Annex was completed in the new site in Princeton in 1995, and the Sexual Assault Program was added in 1996.
In September 1999, the administrative personnel, as well as the prevention and sexual assault program staff, were moved to 1702 W. Peru Street, Princeton. The domestic violence program staff stayed at the 314 N. Euclid Avenue location.
The Marshall County Outreach Office, as well as the Henry County Legal Advocate Office, opened in 2000. The Marshall County Office has since closed, but the Legal Advocate Office remains open in the Henry County State's Attorney's Office at the Henry County Courthouse in Cambridge.
In March of 2003, the administrative office, as well as the sexual violence and prevention programs, moved to the current secure location at 440 Elm Place, Princeton. The crisis shelter opened in December 2003, offering shelter to women and children meeting the criteria for admittance. Freedom House also houses four transitional apartments, which may be available to clients for up to a two-year stay.
Please contact our Transitional Shelter Advocate, to learn more about the Transitional program.
There are 16 crisis shelter beds and four Transitional apartments with an additional 10 beds.